Model 2: A semi-autonomous agency (the composite model)
A health promotion arm funded through dedicated taxes is set up within the appropriate government structure such as the department of health, but as a separate unit or a branch within the department. In this model, the government through the Ministry of Health determines the annual budget allocation and sets the priority action areas, while the independent Board of Directors have autonomy over the development of action plans and their implementation.
There is no doubt that this model may be attractive to some governments that may be resistant to committing large sums of money to an organization which, through its structure, is at arm’s length from the government.
- A global overview of health promotion funds and the agencies that govern and manage them.
- Summary of fund management and expenditure of dedicated taxes.
- How is governance for these funds structured?
- Model 1: Autonomous agency
- Model 2: Semi-autonomous agency
- Model 3: Unit within the government structure